- What are the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®?
- How do the techniques work for women?
- What could cause a displaced uterus?
- What are the symptoms of a displaced uterus?
- How quickly should I expect a change?
- Are the techniques recommended for all women?
- How are the techniques helpful for men?
- How do the techniques support fertility?
- I've had a Hysterectomy - how do the techniques help?
- How do the techniques help with Ceasarian sections?
- How do the techniques help with digestion?
- Will the techniques help with digestion problems following abdominal surgery?
- What is "Self Care" and why does it help?
- Who is qualified to administer The Arvigo Techniques™?
- What about teacher training courses?
- Will I receive an individual treatment if I attend an Arvigo™ Techniquess workshop?
What are The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®?
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are a non-invasive, external, massage technique. When applied, they guide internal abdominal organs into their proper position for optimum health and well being. The techniques work by relieving congestion and blockages to improve the flow of chi and fluids of the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems to prevent the progression of chronic disease symptomology. This results in improved organ function by releasing physical and emotional congestion from the abdomen. These techniques are effective for both men and women.
How do the techniques work for women?
This external massage gently lifts and guides the uterus into its optimal position in the lower pelvis. The uterus is held in position by over 10 ligaments. Ligaments, when stressed or strained cause the uterus to become mal-positioned. If the uterus is mal-positioned, women experience a multitude of symptoms.
What could cause a displaced uterus?
- Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, car accidents, etc
- Pelvic ligaments that have weakened due to overstretching during pregnancy and birth
- High Impact exercise, running on cement surfaces, high impact aerobics, etc
- Lifting & carrying heavy objects before or during menstruation and too soon after childbirth
- Time and gravity
- Past surgeries
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
- Emotional armoring
What are the symptoms of a displaced uterus?
- Painful or irregular periods; painful or irregular ovulation
- Dark or brown blood at the onset and at the end of menstruation
- Headache or migraine with period
- Varicose veins of the legs and/or tired, weak or numb legs
- Low backache; back pain with period
- More serious imbalances including: Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids and Uterine Polyps
- PMS/ depression
- Frequent urination; bladder infections, incontinence
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Chronic miscarriages
- Difficulty getting pregnant/Infertility
- Painful intercourse
- Chronic constipation
- Difficult menopause
How quickly should I expect a change?
Depending on the severity of the problem, it may take as little as one session and as long as many months for the uterine position to be corrected and for the ligaments to gain enough strength and elasticity for it to stay in place. 3 sessions are usually the minimum.
Women often report a rapid improvement in symptoms and sense of wellbeing when self-care is performed regularly.
Are the techniques recommended for all women?
Almost every woman, even those who have had hysterectomies can benefit greatly from the Arvigo™ Techniques through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue.
Direct application over the uterus is not performed:
- During menstrual bleeding
- Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
- For a woman using an IUD for birth control
- If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
- During the first trimester of pregnancy
How are the techniques helpful for men?
The techniques are applied the same way for men. The prostate is a glandular organ that rests behind the bladder, but has no ligaments to speak of for support. The prostate gland can become congested resulting in early stages of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH), impotence (depending on the cause), decrease sperm count, etc. By applying the massage to the abdomen it supports healthy organ function and relieves congestion.
How do the techniques support Fertility?
It has been estimated that approx 30 % of woman who have been unsuccessful in conceiving eventually conceive after a succession of Arvigo™sessions. Treatments generally consist of massage, diet and lifestyle modifications, herbal therapies to enhance fertility.
Once the uterus is in its optimal position, there is improved hemo dynamics and homeostasis to support and enhance fertility. When including the partner in the process, we find fertility is increased! After all, men need this work as much as women do.
I've had a Hysterectomy - how do the techniques help?
Women who have had hysterectomies benefit greatly from these technqiues as it improves circulation in and around the area of the scar. When circulation is improved, scar tissue will be prevented from forming in the pelvis after surgery. Ligaments and other remaining organs are benefited from improving circulatory flow to the pelvis.
How do the techniques help with Ceasarian sections?
Untold numbers of Caesarian births could be prevented with this simple, safe, easy to learn massage technique. Our practitioners use this to prevent the need for a C-Section. By strengthening and toning the uterus, ligaments and other pelvic organs, the massage helps to place and maintain the uterus in her optimal position for giving birth.
Well being of the mother and baby are improved as they prepare for labor and delivery. Our midwife practitioners apply this technique during labor and delivery and report a decrease in laboring and easy delivery for mom and baby.
For women who have had a C-section, this technique is beneficial for breaking up scar tissue in the same way it works for women who have had hysterectomies.
How do the techniques support digestion?
Many anxieties and emotions through life are stored in our body's tissues and organs. A very common place is in the organs of the digestive system. Those so called "butterflies in your stomach" can lead to constipation, indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, and eventually to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Gasto Esophageal Reflux (GERD), Crohn's and more.
Stresses and emotions cause the small intestine and colon to be "twisted or kinked" leading the blockages in the flow of peristalsis. Surrounding fascia creates adhesions that mal-position organs and impede proper blood flow and enzyme secretions. These techniques slowly improve fascia adhesions, scar tissue and remove any "kinks" in the digestive tract. Often there is a dramatic improvement after just one session when combined with proper diet and self-care.
Will the techniques help with digestion problems following abdominal surgery?
Scar tissue and facial adhesions can often cause problems with digestion after abdominal surgery. Again, by improving circulation it breaks down the scar tissue and adhesion from past or present surgeries. A few sessions combined with castor oil packs, diet and self care are often used depending on the restriction for optimal success. Make sure you wait for allow 4-6 weeks or at the consent of your health care provider before applying this technqiue.
What is "Self Care" and why does it help?
Each client is instructed in performing the abdominal massage for themselves. By doing self care massage daily for 2 - 3 minutes of daily massage, it provides the individual with the ability to improve their symptoms while working with their practitioner.
Over the years, practitioners report that their clients obtain relief from their symptoms quicker when they perfom daily self care techniques and make the necessary life style changes than clients who do not.
Who is qualified to administer The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®?
Only those practitioners who have successfully completed the first two levels of training, which includes Self-Care and Professional Care Training are qualified to apply these techniques in their practice.
Practitioners who have completed Certifcation are advanced practitioners who have completed the requirements, such as case studies and advanced body work applications.
Refer to the list of qualified practitioners in your area to schedule a treatment session.
Teacher training is now available. Check our Courses of Study page for dates and course descriptions.
Will I be individually evaluated if I attend an Arvigo™ Techniques workshop?
Yes. Each participant in a Self Care workshop is provided with a 30 minute session by either the Instructor or a trained Arvigo practitioner assisting at the workshop.This session includes an assessment of your uterine position and instruction on performing the Self Care techniques on yourself. For a full, comprehensive treatment, a person should make an appointment with an Arvigo Practitioner.